In my last post, I gave you my
elegant extension hack for generating EMMA style code coverage reports from FlexCover. This post covers the first route I took to incorporating this in my build process. It does work, but it’s not very consistent in its reporting and I’ll explain why at the end…
Over the last few months I have adopted Hudson as my build machine of choice as it is just so easy to setup and administer. Another thing I really like is being able to watch the trend of the number of tests in my test harness over time. It’s not the best metric, but it does act as a reasonable motivator.
A slightly less crude metric is code coverage, which measures the amount of an application that gets exercised when it’s run. FlexCover is a very cool tool for this and props to my colleague – Alex Uhlmann and Joe Berkowitz of Allurent for the great work they’ve done. There is a great UI for exploring code coverage in detail and it can also export xml formatted reports on coverage.
The thing is, I want to be able to track code coverage over time in Hudson, just like I can with the number of tests. I achieved this by extending FlexCover to output EMMA formatted reports…
I’ve been kind of quiet recently for three reasons:
- Its summer
- Work has been insanely busy
- I’ve been beavering away on a new plugin for eclipse
The plugin is designed with one key goal in mind: shortening the develop-test feedback loop. It integrates eclipse and the flexunit framework to make our lives as developers easier.
The plan is to release the plugin on labs as soon as possible (I’m about to go on holiday for a couple of weeks so it’ll be October at the earliest…) but I thought I’d give you an early heads-up on what I’ve been doing when its been too hot to walk the New York streets…
About a year ago, I posted a six part series explaining how to set up a continuous integration process for your Flex projects. Since then I have been refining the process when I have had a spare moment. One of the hassles I found when trying to setup continuous integration on a new machine was getting the python based flash log parser working. I decided to remove the python dependency altogether and create a jar that parses the flash logs.
So, I thought I was doing pretty well, getting svn working on the mac, installing cruisecontrol for my continuous integration, even getting SCPlugin working with unsigned certificates. Then I tried to run my ant build, and ended up having all sorts of problems getting my mac debug player to run. Some investigating and help from the ANT folks later, and I have a solution
OK, so for those of you who know Unix better than me (which is probably most of you) this post will be like teaching your granny to suck eggs, but for the rest of us, it took me some working out how to stop and start the cruisecontrol server instance on the mac…
So, I’ve got this shiny new mac provided by my new employers, and so I figured I’d put it to use as a CruiseControl build manager. I found the process reasonably simple but, just like the process of setting up Subversion and SCPlugin, there are a couple of extra steps I figured I’d share…
I just had to sort out getting subversion up and running on a mac. It’s not quite as simple a process as on a PC; there are a couple of extra steps I thought I’d share…
I just did a quick extension of the Flex LinkBar so you can tie it to the states of a component. I haven’t tested it throughly yet, so if you find anything weird in there, let me know…
Ok, so Mathias just asked how I managed to get the firefox search plugins to just search one site. I started to write a comment explaining it, but got a little long, so here’s Paul’s quick n dirty ghetto way of getting a firefox plugin to search just one site…